Monday, June 22, 2009

Being honest with ourselves...

Sometimes it is so difficult to be honest with ourselves.  We do not see ourselves as others see us, and it is painful to admit to being mentally, emotionally, and spiritually ill.  It seems we fight it at every turn.   It is in working with others that I find out the most about myself, and while I may be recovered from this seemingly hopeless state of body, mind, and spirit, and have regained a sense of emotional stability and sobriety, I am still learning how to live life on its own terms, and sometimes it is very difficult to accept the realities of this dis-ease and the suffering and distruction it continues to cause, many times in the lives of those I love and I am trying to help.  I am learning to have a deeper compassion for others that are unable to be honest with themselves, and gratitude for my own recovery, and an ever emerging willingness to be of service to others in any way that I can.   With this however, I must also adopt a degree of detachment.  Balancing compassion with emotional stability is something I am learning to do.  Realizing how powerless I continue to be over people, places, and things is sobering in its own right.  The only thing I can change is me.  

always, star...

No comments: